The objectives of the International Organization for Medical Physics are:
- To organize international cooperation in medical physics and to promote communication between the various branches of medical physics and allied subjects.
- To contribute to the advancement of medical physics in all its aspects.
- To advise on the formation of national organizations of medical physics in those countries which lack such organizations, and also the possible formation of national committees in those countries where there is more than one medical physics organization.
For these purposes it shall have the power:
- To set up bodies for specific purposes which will further the objectives of the organization.
- To organize and/or sponsor international conferences, regional and other meetings or courses. The time interval between each World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering shall hereinafter in these Statutes and Bylaws be referred to as the period.
- To collaborate or affiliate with other scientific organizations.
- To develop any activity deemed helpful to the forwarding of its declared objectives.
The above have been extracted from the Bylaws of the IOMP approved by the Council in September 2009.